After taking a big hit during the pandemic, air travel for business and leisure is finally experiencing an upturn. However, evidence suggests that your risk for contracting COVID-19 and other airborne diseases increases significantly when travelling by plane.
Read on for some top tips for minimising your risk of exposure at the airports and on the plane, including the importance of wearing comfortable face masks.
Why Are Comfortable Face Masks So Important?
Whether you are opting for a reusable or disposable face mask, selecting comfortable face masks that fit well for your next travel venture is vital. While hygiene controls are strictly applied in airports, the sheer volume of people makes them high-risk zones. The more comfortable your face mask, the less likely you will be tempted to touch it and adjust it. And thus, you are less likely to transfer pathogens from your hands to your vulnerable face area.
Evidence suggests that being conscientious about keeping your mask firmly in place decreases the chance of transmission at the departure and arrival airport and on the plane.
What Else Can You Do To Minimise Your Risks?
During times of travel, not only should you wear your comfortable face mask, but you can also observe the following tips to help reduce your exposure to COVID-19 and other pathogens at airports and onboard aeroplanes.
- Pay attention to the hygiene measures at the airport for your airline and onboard the plane.
- This will include regularly washing your hands or sanitising with 70% plus alcohol-based sanitisers.
- Keep at a distance of at least 1,5 to 2m between yourself and other travellers.
- In particular, keep your distance from anyone you notice coughing or sneezing.
- Make use of contactless forms of identification, boarding passes, payments and other options wherever possible.
- Keep your comfortable face masks in place all the time. The only exceptions to this are when removing your mask for identification purposes and for eating and drinking.
- Wash or sanitise your hands immediately before touching your mask to remove it for one of these reasons.
- Take along spare comfortable face masks, particularly on long flights, so you can put on a fresh mask if necessary.
Contact MEO today for a wide variety of comfortable face masks that are perfect for travel. We stock a wide range of reusable and disposable face masks made with high-quality materials and strict standards to ensure your health and safety.